Monday, June 20, 2011

Day 33- Monday 20th June Loch Aline to Oban

The anchorage at Loch Aline was very peaceful.The only sounds were the owls in the woods on the shoreline and the stream flowing into the loch. It didn't seem to get dusk until about 11.30.I was anchored in about 3m of water at low tide.Looking down I could see numerous jelly fish pulsing through the water.They were the common jellyfish ( Aurelia Aurita), with its translucent body and 4 conspicuous purple-violet  horseshoe shaped reproductive organs.I'm seeing a lot of jelly fish at the moment and the main  other one is reddish and larger and I think is the Cyanea capillata, which is similar to the blue-white stinging Cyanea lamarckii. I'm no expert on these things, but looked them up in my sea life guide book.

My sister and husband are having a holiday in mid Scotland and we have arranged to meet up in Oban tomorrow, so I decided to sail the 15miles back there. The favourable tide started at 10ish which was a civilised time to set off. From across the other side of the loch another small yacht set off and I could see the seal emblem on its sail. It was a Parker 235, which was a more up to date and slightly longer version than my seal 22. It motored to the entrance of the loch quite quickly, so was a little way ahead when we joined the Sound of Mull.We both raised our sails and I thought this was a great opportunity to compare our speeds.The wind was light and variable but mostly from behind.We started off at about 5kn but were soon down to about 3.5. I lifted the keel and poled out the genoa and started to gain on him. After about half an hour and just before I overtook him he started his engine. So I nearly had you owner of " Pickle", sail no 57.



There were some good views of of the coast during this 'race' including  a long waterfall.



The sun was warm and there were very few clouds.It seems we were having one of those transient highs before the next depression.In those flat calm conditions the wake from the ferry and other large craft was very noticeable.With the passing of both the Mull ferry and the very flash Irish motor yacht "Lady Georgina"I counted 8 waves. Is this a constant? Does it vary with speed, size of boat or anything else? I will try and find out.



Instead of picking up a mooring I thought I'd save money and anchor off the north pier. This was close to the town and a convenient slip to land on.



The tall ship Lord Nelson had come in whilst I was away and there was a good crowd of folk watching the folding of sails and climbing of rigging going on. My fear of heights has developed in recent years and I don't think I could have been hanging out up there.





I had lunch at Kronks, which I thought was a bit of a rip off of the famous Cranks name. I am known to be pretty adventurous in what I combine in my sandwiches, so I just had to go for the peanut butter, banana and cream cheese option. It was nice, but peanut butter and mango chutney or marmalade still beats it.



I then cycled along the coast road to Ganavon Bay, passing the ruin of Dunollie Castle en route. The sign said this used to be the "capitol" of the Dalriadic kingdom. It was ransacked by Cromwell who seems to have had a right old time duffing up the Irish and Scots.It has been sketched by some very famous people, including Mendelsson, but not me alas!



Ganavon Bay is a nice bit of white sand, with a car park and not a tea shop in site. Instead it's got a new housing development.





In the Waterstone's bookshop they were selling DVDs of the Corryvreckan. experience it from the comfort of your living room its suggests

No comments:

Post a Comment