Monday, August 8, 2011

Day 83- Monday-8th August- Brighton to Littlehampton

Last night there was a thunder storm over Brighton. The rain continued on and off throughout the night. However, it wasn't the rain, but my coughing that kept waking me up. I had resorted to phoning the doctor, believing that I need a course of antibiotics, but she said unless I had a fever it was probably a virus. It could take 2-3 weeks to shake off. It will lead me to be more cautious about what I tackle.

More strong winds were forecast, but there would be a time when they would only be force 4/5. The chap in the marina office said that westerlies didn't kick up much of a sea because the south east facing coast line means the land acts as a shield. So as all was calm at 7.00, I thought I'd set out for Chichester.

Whilst I could hug the coast and so reduce the size of the waves I was finding the 22kn of wind right on the nose was slowing me a lot. Furthermore, there were big rafts of sea weed, which had been loosened by yesterday's wind and this kept being wrapped around the rudder and causing drag, which slowed be down even more. I thought it would take forever to get around Selsey Bill in these conditions, so I went into Littlehampton instead.It meant that I only did 18nm today. This is half the distance I was aiming for.

Littlehampton has a bar within the entrance, and I arrived almost at low tide. However, it was neap tides and I was able to get in by lifting the keel and the rudder. On the way up the channel against the strong running river it was odd to be next to kids only up to their ankles in water.



The helpful woman in the harbour office started telling me what the town had to offer. Apart from the usual recommendation for certain restaurants and the local chippy, it was the SSSI on the other side of the river Arun, and the" long bench", which are the main highlights.

The bench is indeed and interesting feature, and it runs in and out of a couple of architecturally interesting shelters. The bench seems to become a climbing frame within these, but bizarrely, there is a sign saying "no climbing". there was a healthy disregard for this sign, which doubtless is an attempt to protect the Council from accident claims.





Along the quay there is the usual residential redevelopment, but they seem to have tried to produce something interesting, by having some variety in the built form.



The town centre is modest, but there is plenty for the kids, with a fun park. For adults and kids there is a viewing tower at the top of the quay. On the walls there are bits and pieces about the history of the town. I was stuck by the photo of a remarkably modest boat that was intending to provide a round the world cruise.




When I got back to the pontoon I recognised the name of the Parker 335 that had arrived. Shemar is often mentioned in the Parker and Seal Sailing association newsletter. Its owner Martin Hopton introduced himself and invited me for a drink later.



finally, last night I received an email from Phil Ashwin, my fellow circumnavigator. ( Cowman's Dream website). He had now arrived back in Poole. He had met dolphins off Dungeness and a cross Channel swimmer off Dover! The radio is full of news about riots in London following Saturday's march in Totenham.The downgrading of the credit rating of the USA and the state of the financial markets and the Euro suggest we are moving into very uncertain times.

I have been using Imray   and various cruising club pilot books as I've worked my way around. I have found these universally dry tomes.So now I'm using Tom Cunliffe's "Channel Pilot", it makes a very refreshing change. He gives some colour to the places he describes and gives his opinions about them. Good on yer Tom.

No comments:

Post a Comment