Monday, August 15, 2011

Day 90 Monday15th August- Lyme Regis to Teignmouth

Last night, a clear cloudless sky and what looked like a full moon created some wonderful atmospheric scenes. Hylje was back lit and fishermen were silhouetted in the moon light.



The day started still and warm. I took a walk into town to find some milk. The beach was being cleaned and combed by a tractor, sand was being blown off the paths and rubbish was being collected. The sand looked like it had been pisted. Then along come the seagulls and make their mark.


West Devon District Council seem to work pretty hard to keep the "pearl" looking polished. Seeing the Dorset coast in such ideal conditions made me wonder why I always turn right when leaving the Dart. This area has so much to offer. It boasts a dry warm micro climate, with all the rain falling on Devon before it gets here. There is less swell in the prevailing westerlies and its quicker to get to than a lot of the western harbours.

I left the pontoon about 10.00 and I knew the slight tide would be against me for an hour or so, but I was in no hurry and just wanted to sail. Soon the wind started to pick up from a SW 3 to a 5 and I changed the jib and put a reef in the main. The  trip westwards along the coast was then a close reach for a few hours.

The cliffs changed colour from the yellow of Dorset to the red of Devon. In the transition there was a mixture. In one place the pale coloured lower levels and red top made it look like there were tiled roofs.and white gables.



By the time I reached Sidmouth, it was blowing a low 6 and was time to put another reef in. The photo does not capture the angle of lean or white crested water,



Even this coast is not immune from the ugly sight of mobile homes on top of the cliffs. It crossed my mind that it's a shame they don't suffer from lemming syndrome and throw themselves over every now and again. This would be outside the main season of course so nobody gets hurt.



By the time I reached Budleigh Salterton it had started raining. It was time to motor sail for the last bit across the entrance to the Exe



.The approach to Teignmouth has a useful landmark - Knob Rock, as its affectionately called by users of the train between Exeter and Newton Abbot.



The visitor pontoon is tucked just inside the harbour and is a short row to the shore.It's too late to bother inflating the dinghy tonight. I'll save the pleasures of the town until tomorrow.I'll stay here for the day and Joe will join me in the evening. I'll then do my final leg to Dartmouth with him on Wednesday. It's nearly over. Phil Ashwin on his blog steered away from making any philosophical comments. I did what I set out to do he said simply. I'll ponder whether I can be so brief.



No comments:

Post a Comment