Friday, August 12, 2011

Day 87- Friday 12th August- Yarmouth to Poole.

Today I did a short sail from the Isle of Wight to Poole. I am now in familiar waters. I used to have a mooring in Poole harbour.

The wind was a fairly constant force 3/4 from the south west. This meant a long close reach to Poole, with a couple of tacks to get across Christchurch Bay. Initially, I was tacking across the Solent and slowly going backwards, until the tide turned and the water carried me through the Hurst Narrows. There was a very quick looking trimaran moving towards Cowes.



Through the narrows, I had good views of the Needles and Hurst Castle and some very showery clouds.The water is funneled between the island and a sand band called the Shingles. This causes s turbulent needles Channel on the west side of the Solent. However, it possible to turn out of the channel before the Shingles and avoid the current. This is what I chose to do.






About 12 years ago, I had a mooring in Poole, when we lived in Dorset. I'd only had Hylje a couple of years and was still on a steep learning curve. Most of the time I sailed in Poole harbour, but Gyll, Joe and I made the occasional venture out. One day we steeled ourselves and set out for the Isle of Wight, but a sea mist set in and we turned back.The chart I was using today still had the intended route marked in pencil.Now doing the the same journey, but in reverse, seemed to emphasise the sailing  progress I've made since then.

Whilst  Hylje was on her mooring she was broken into by an ex police officer.The wash boards were thrown overboard, my carefully installed wooden housing for my car radio was ripped out and the original outboard bracket was torn off the stern along with the engine. Coming back caused some very mixed emotions.

Poole is supposed to be the largest natural harbour in Europe. Whilst there is a huge surface area of water, much of it is very shallow and when the tide is out, most of the water is about 1m deep.However, it has a small tidal range and the tide is high for a lot longer than it is low. At the entrance there are the expensive properties on Sandbanks, a fast running stream and a chain ferry.



If fast running water and chain ferries aren't enough, there are some big ferries moving through the narrow entrance to keep you concentrating.



Just inside the entrance there is Brownsea Island. This is a wild life reserve, which maintains a red squirrel colony, It also where Baden Powell held the first ever scout jamboree. Its a lovely oasis away from the chips and ice cream in Poole itself.




Since I was here, a new marina has been constructed next to the town quay. I used the pontoon to stretch out my genoa so that I could sew a repair following a tear that developed on the way across the bay.



In town a load of minis were being assembled on the quayside as part of a parade. They all had stickers for a London to Brighton. Poole seems a bit off the route.Minis are great. I've owned a few, so it was great to see so many in good running order. I'm not sure how right it is for the new mini to be included in a display like this.


Poole is the home of the Sunseekers factory. It's hard to call it a boatyard. I find it difficult to warm to these things.








No comments:

Post a Comment