Friday, July 29, 2011

Day 71- Thursday 28th July-Maldon to Gillingham

Today was always going to mean spending a long time on the water. I needed to go down on the tide out into the Thames Estuary, then come back up the channel between the Maplin Sands and West Barrow to work my way into the Medway. As I couldn't leave Maldon until midday and Gillingham was 50nm away then I knew it would be late before I got there.

As all 3 boats on the pontoon in Maldon were getting ready to leave, a handful of new ones were circling waiting to get on. It allowed me time to take a photo of the Norfolk Shrimper, which Ken and Paul were sailing. One of them had made it himself and it generated a lot of interest on the quay.It's 21ft long, plus its bowsprit, but weighs 3 tons, which is twice the weight of Hylje, that's a foot longer. When, the day before, I gave her a help in by pulling on their bowline to get over the mud they were bothered that they couldn't stop her if I pulled too hard!

Whilst there is a covered area in the bows to sleep, essentially it is an open boat, so they do all their cooking under the canopy. The boats is based in Whitby, so they are on their way north.



As the boat with the shallowest draught, I was able to get away first. I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to Ken and Paul because they were off shopping. Out on the river, I could see the statue to Byrhtnoth, which guards the point near where the causeway crosses over from Northey island and where the battle of Maldon was fought..



Though the forecast was for a force 3/4 N/NE wind, there was very little wind. There was no point in rushing out into the Estuary because I would then be making my crossing of the Buxey sand bar and the turn back up the Thames too early and would be fighting the remains of the outgoing tide.I therefore joined in with the informal racing against other boats in the light airs. I enjoyed the moment when I moved though a mixed fleet including a junk rigged Newbridge, a 30ft Moody, a Tomahawk and a legend 306. Very satisfying.

The slow drifting down the river also allowed me to pass close to Bradwell power station, which seems to be being decommissioned.



When the wind finally died completely I started the motor and made my way out to the Wallet Spitway buoy that marks the route across the bar. This produces a sort of funnel, where all the boats pass through close to the Gunfleet Wind farm. Another barge moved through it with me.





Once though I struck a course across the end of the Foulness sand.It got progressively shallower and for about 20mins I was in between 1.6-1.3m of water. I was pleased to be across it and for the water to be deepening again. I was surprised to see a 30ft keel boat motoring quickly towards me and set on the same route I had just followed .As I looked behind me I saw him make an abrupt right hand turn.That woke him up !

The wind had now moved into the south east, but not enough to provide anything more than wind assistance to my passage up the Thames. There were several quick moving freighters in the delightfully named Knob channel and Princes Channel. It was odd to see basking seals on the sand bank between me and these large ships.



By the time I reached the entrance to the Medway, the sun was setting.behind the Grain Power station.It's amazing how a pleasant sunset can make the most unlikely subjects look attractive.





4 large tug boats were pulling a freighter away from the quayside at Thamesport Container Terminal. The power of those things is very obvious when the backwash from the props puhed out into the channel.

By the time I had reached Gillingham it was 10.30 and pretty dark. In fact, I passed the entrance to the marina and had to double back. Though I had phoned and booked a berth, they don't keep a radio watch after 10p.m, so I was unable to raise anyone and so picked up a swinging mooring in the river. I ate a cold can of beans and went to bed.

Though the barometer is reading 1025 and there is a high over the country, there were rain clouds around next morning.





The marina does not look pretty from the water, but I was glad to be through the lock and onto the strange pole moorings.



I want to explore Chatham dockyards from here and the historic town of Rochester. Both are within easy cycling distance.

I am now poised ready to make my trip up the Thames to visit Joe when he gets back from his holiday.The progress of the trip over the last few legs now looks like this:-

No comments:

Post a Comment