Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Day12- 30th May Padstow

Brian came up trumps and did a good job welding the rudder bracket.It didn't take long to put it back together and I used the time to mend other bits and pieces,I also found some time to read a bit more of Sam Steele's book on circumnavigation. She has a piece on fishing buoys and the hazard they are to leisure boats. I had my own problem with one as I came around Dodman Point. It was easy to cut myself free, but anyone with an inboard engine has much more trouble. That often means having to get into the water, As these things are often off headlands where the tidal flow is greatest that's something you want to avoid. I have  recorded them in 44m of water, so its not just in the shallows.They can also be quite difficult to see in fog or a swell.

Steve Sheppard had said he might Padstow. He texted to say he'd be in Cumbria in July. Who knows where I'll be then.

In the harbour the local lifeboat was showing tourists around the inside. I got talking to a couple of new recruits. The girl's father is a fisherman, so she has the sea in her blood. the young chap came from Evesham and was a carpet fitter, He said he dreamed of being in the boat every night. They both lived for the chance to go out in it. It covers about a 60m radius and can cover that distance in about 4 hours. That's a long time to wait for help, but that's sure moving. One of the lad;s most memorable experiences, so far, was surfing in over the Bar in the lifeboat. It was almost vertical he said.He had been out on 2 emergencies since January. In one of these the RNLI inflatable had flipped and dumped one of the crew in the sea. It was an embarrassing incident, but lessons were learnt.

At the end of a busy Bank Holiday Monday the pasty shop was selling its remaining stock at a £1 each. They freeze well she said. That doesn't help me much, but I bought 3. I chomped through one of them as I sat with my latop in the cabin


As I looked at the rotating symbol on the screen whilst the lengthy uploads took place I thought it was the modern day equivalent of watching the washing go around in the launderette,                                           



On the pontoons I got talking to a yachtsman who was on his way to Finland. He'd only come from Bristol and had been in Pastow for a month. He didn't have the courage for single handed sailing so was reliant on crew. Him and is mate reckoned they;d tackle lands End on Thursday. As a Scandinavian I asked how he would pronounce the name of my boat as it was Finnish for seal. He said it would be Hool-yay, which is what I thought, but I'll stick to Hill-gee. He said it is a particular type of Baltic seal, which I didn't know.

For the last couple of time I've done a radio check with the coast guard there has been no answer. I was reassured by the harbour master saying I came over loud and clear. That was a comfort. I had an early night as I wanted to get away early in the morning. the lock gates would close at 7 a.m so I needed to be away before then,

No comments:

Post a Comment