Saturday, May 28, 2011

Day9-Newlyn to Padstow

Going around lands End from Newlyn you go though almost 360 degrees, so there will always be a stretch where you will be going straight into the wind. In my planning last night, I judged that with the forecast for a force 4/5 from the WNW then it would probably be the bit between Lands End and Cape  Cornwall. For the first time for the wind should be  in my favour as I worked my way up the North Devon Coast.

Shortly after leaving the Scillonion bound for the Scillies came up behind me.I've spent a lot of hours on that boat. It has a shallow draft to be able to get into the islands and there's often quite a swell from the Atlantic. Many people get down to the sick bay straight away in readiness.

The north flowing tide took me between The Seven Stones and Lands End quickly and I was soon off Cape Cornwall. It is a rugged place , though so much of our coast is like that. What makes this place different from other headlands is that the tide sweeps up past it so if you plan it right you can come along the south side westwards against the tide and then you turn the corner and are then take with the tide northwards

This part of the coast is defined by the derelict mine working structures, which stand proud and exposed.


The trip up the coast was a great sail the wind was a constant force4/5 and I bowled along at over 6 knots most of the time. I was soon level with St. Ives and thought I'd carry on to benefit from these advantageous conditions. Then Newquay came and I Passed that to and aimed for Padstow. All the harbours along this stretch dry out at low water, so I wanted to go to one there would be some shelter if I needed to wait before I could get in.The final leg up and around Trevose Head passed very slowly as by now the tide was against me, so despite my speed through the water the flow meant that I was doing only a bit more than 4 knots over the ground. I arrived at the famous Doom Bar just after 9pm. It was low tide, but neaps so there was still water and I motored in and picked up a buoy.The log said I'd done 70 nautical miles, but the GPS said 62nm, so overall the tide had been against me.




No comments:

Post a Comment