Sunday, May 22, 2011

Day5 Sunday 22nd May-Fowey for a bit longer.

The swell was heavy in the harbour last night and much larger boats than mine were bouncing up against the pontoon. I decided to go up river a bit and found serenity in Wiseman's Reach. On one side is the Imrys quay, which is where boats are loaded and the other side is just a beautiful Cornish river. I felt very smug as I ticked into my pasta washed down by a Cabernet-Shiraz-Merlot.

i awoke early at 5.50 and the place was silky smooth. There were only the sounds of owls and sea birds.

I was moored next to a lovely classic boat and I took many pitctes trying to optimise the composition of boat and reflection. I toyed with the idea of sketching it but I wanted a bit more sleep and it would still be there later.


The forecast was for a stong south westerly decreasing and veering to the south. This meant that later I may stand a chance of getting to Falmouth. In order to benefit from the west running tide. I went to the cashpoint first and was shocked to see my balance, It shouldn't be that low. How was I going to sort that out on a Sunday, particularly as I'd forgotten to bring my on line banking details with me.

 I set off at midday. I had the main sail fully reefed and started off motor sailing.However I made the mistake of towing my iinflatable.Within a short time it went airborne and then turned upside down. Its nose started to dig into the water and I believed the strain would rip the rope off it. I decided I should return and wait for better conditions, I was also rattled by my bank account situation. how can a day start so well and deteriorate so quickly?

Back in the harbour the wind continued to drop and I felt tempted to restart my journey. proper yachtsman wouldn't piss around in harbour! Get out there again my inner voice said, but I knew I'd lost the tide and didn't fancy trying to get around Dodman Point with the tide against me.

I now had time to wander around the galleries in town. There was a large sculpture of a wolf howling at the moon. What sort of frame of mind would you need to be in to spend a couple of grand on a subject like this?


The weather continued to improve and I savoured the sites as I made my way back to Wiseman's reach. there was the shabbiest wreck of a boat I'd ever seen on a mooring. there was also a wonderfully narrow proportioned house that was little wider than a boat shed.I took photos of both but gave up waiting for them to upload despite taking them on a low resolution setting.I'm finding this very frustrating and will probably post fewer photos in future. My laptop is also refusing to charge on both my mains and 12v leads!

No comments:

Post a Comment